Saturday, December 8

Soap in the bed

Peter McKay - Solomon's Resource

So, here's one for you. I recently read that people suffering from restless leg syndrome (RLS) sometimes gain relief by putting a small bar of hand soap under their bed mattress, or under their fitted sheet at the foot of their bed.

(And since this blog site is supposed to be an interactive conversation, and I don't want to take up too much space here, I've posted 'the rest of the story' of the 'Great Soap Debate' on my own blog if you are so inclined to go read it all.)

The bottom line is it seems to be working. And that has caused me to start pondering. And in pondering, I thought these questions might be 'fun' to pose here as well, so here goes…:

  • What is the nature of a symbol?

  • What 'power' or 'meaning' does it intrinsically have (if any)?

  • What 'power' or 'meaning' do we intentionally or unintentionally give to symbols?

  • Does a symbol still have 'power' or 'meaning' if you don't know what the symbol represents?

  • Can you decide for yourself what the symbol means and have it operate as that even if it has had a different meaning before you started interacting with it?

Happy Pondering…